Why am I happy all of the time? I get asked this a lot! The truth is I go through the same things as most of you. I have days when I'm going through things. I have ups and downs just like anyone. The difference is - I choose to be happy and not stay in an unhappy mindset.
The happiest people have habits that raise the odds of feeling happy.
Unhappy people have habits that result in less desirable feelings. It can be that simple. If you’re not as happy as you’d like, take a look at your habits. Things like dwelling on the negative situation or consistently anticipating an undesirable outcome can become common place in your thinking. What you think is what you become.
Those that are happy share many qualities. Adopting these same qualities will get you more positive results in your life. After all, who doesn't want to be happier?
Habits that lead to happiness are fun to implement:
1. Optimism. Obviously, if you believe good things will happen, it’s much more likely that you’ll be happy. Expecting the worst does nothing to improve your mood! Realistically, it’s not even important to expect a positive outcome (although if you do it's much more likely to happen) only to believe that everything will be okay.
· Optimism is also a form of belief in yourself. If you believe that you can handle any outcome, you can be optimistic and have the mental freedom to be happy.
2. Selflessness. Doing things for others provides multiple benefits. You can see firsthand that you have a lot to be grateful for. You can feel good about yourself for assisting others. You have a good reason to get out of the house. You also feel useful.
· Make a list of at least three ways you can help others that will also fit into your schedule.
3. Gratitude. Do you realize how many great things and people you already have in your life? By maintaining focus on the things you don’t have, you’re making yourself unhappy. Experiencing gratitude helps to create feelings of happiness.
4. An exciting future. Maximum happiness requires that you have something to look forward to. It can be graduating from college, having a baby, retirement, a vacation, or a hot date on Saturday night. Have a few goals that give you a reason to be excited. Have goals that are both short-term and long-term.
5. Success. Spend some time doing things that you’re good at. It feels good to do well at something. It doesn’t have to be a competitive event. You can hit golf balls at the range or play the guitar and feel great about yourself.
· Make of list of the things you excel at and try to spend at least a little time each day doing one of them.
6. Resilience. It’s impossible to avoid challenging times. Sooner or later, something will happen that threatens your progress, success, or happiness. Resilience is the ability to continue forging ahead. Some people have a knack for making obstacles seem bigger than they really are. Others are able to maintain their composure and continue making progress.
7. Reasonable expectations. When your expectations are overly optimistic, you’ll routinely experience disappointment. When your expectations are consistently low, you won’t feel very optimistic. Neither is a recipe for happiness.
8. Forgiveness. How can you be happy while holding a grudge? Forgiving others quickly and easily make happiness possible. You might feel that some people don’t deserve forgiveness, but what is the alternative? Making yourself unhappy.
9. Authenticity. Spending your time pretending to be something you’re not is a challenge to your self-esteem. Happiness is illusive if you don’t feel comfortable being yourself. Allow your uniqueness to show.
10. Presence. Thinking about the past leads to regret. Thoughts of the future lead to anxiety. Keep your mind in the present if you want to experience happiness on a regular basis.
There’s nothing complicated about happiness. Forgive others, be yourself, give of yourself, and be grateful for the things and people you already have. Having an effective set of habits will result in feeling more happiness.
Need help finding and staying in your happy place? Call me today at 443-203-8882 and let's discuss where you see your life and how we'll get you there!